Emissions Testing vs. Smog Check
State and local mandated emissions testing meets the EPA Tier 2 standard, while smog testing meets California's higher standard for EPA Tier 3.
How Do I Know If I Need a Smog Test?
Your DMV registration renewal notice will indicate "Smog Check Required" if your vehicle needs a smog check.
When Is a Smog Check Required?
- If you are selling a car or truck that is more than four years old
- When you register an out-of-state vehicle for the first time in California, you will need a smog check
- Every other year for vehicles that are more than six years old
When Is a Smog Check Not Required?
- 100% electric-powered vehicles do not need a smog check
- Motorcycles do not need a smog check
- Got a classic car? Vehicles that are model-year 1975 and older do not require a smog check
- Vehicles six model years and newer do not require a biennial Smog check
- Selling your car? Cars that are four model years and newer do not require a change-of-ownership Smog check
- Diesel-powered trucks that are model year 1997 and older
- Diesel-powered trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 14,000 pounds
What our clients are saying about us
We have established longterm and stable partnerships with various clients thanks to our excellence in solving their automotive needs!
This shop is awesome. Honest and Friendly. I highly recommend this place.
Loved this place prolly one of the honest mechanics